Susegad..way of life

The topic for my first post was decided even before I started a blog. The Goan roots that bind me to my plate of fresh fish fry and solkadi would have never forgiven me had I chosen to write on some other topic. For most of the people out there, Goa is about beaches, bars and bikinis(oopsie). Let me now take you on a journey to a completely different Goa which is all about serenity, temples, food and susegad way of life. In my opinion the susegad mantra should be as popular as Hakuna Matata as they both share some similar meaning. Susegad is a relaxed laid-back way of living. From buying poye(local bread), taking short(cough*long*cough)afternoon siestas, relishing good food and getting the work done at their own sweet pace, this place is all about peace. So folks, before we start this journey to the vastly unexplored side of Goa let me issue 2 warnings, first, this post is going to be a lengthy one so better grab some snacks to munch along as you read. Also this post is going to make you guys want to book a Goan vacation right away so please read at your own risk. 
       Temples and Goa sounds an odd combination but for me my childhood was literally centered around the occasional short trips to Goan temples. The schedule is the same since years. 
Day 1 ( the day we arrive at Shantadurga temple)
10:00am. Goa is approximately 2 hours travel from my hometown. So after an early morning car journey we reach this place. 
1:00pm. The temple priests conduct the afternoon prayers (aarti) and it feels surreal. The arrangement of the mirrors is done in such a way that during the aarti the sun rays fall directly on the deity's face and surroundings, this coupled with the sound of continuous ringing of the huge temple bell is an magical experience. 
1:15pm. Here I start to show my true foodie colors and rush to a hotel nearby to book a table. 
2:00pm. After a sumptuous meal of fish thali and a drink of lemon soda its now time for a short afternoon nap. 
5:30pm. Walking around to the nearby temples.
9:00pm. The night prayer at 9 means that the temple premises are going to be closed soon. 
Shantadurga Temple, Kavlem
          Taking a risk of generalizing I can say that almost all the Goan temples follow a distinct style of Indo- Portuguese architecture seeped in renaissance art. All the main temples have the following features, a Temple Tank(tali) near the entrance, a Deepstambha(lamp tower) right in front of the temple structure, a Tulsi Vrindavan, a closed mandapa, antrala and the Garbhagriha(main sanctum). Materials used are laterite, lime and granite(all locally available). With a basilica floor plan, tiled 
Temple Tank(Tali)

  roofs, roman arched windows, arches, glass chandeliers in the closed mandapa, flat domes and stained glass window panels one gets a glimpse into the centuries old assimilation of en number of styles of each dynasty that ruled here have imparted to it. 
            Nowadays, with the trending ghosts of ' Instagram popularity' and 'I am a lost soul' vibes more and more tourists have started to take this path towards the nature-rich corners of Goa. The state itself is full of contradictions, On one hand there's chaos and crowds seen in every fancy place whereas peace reigns in the lush green places. The hotels, pubs and bars are no doubt crowded and full of party spirit but this lesser known, scarcely explored side of Goa has a separate 'fan base' and its full of life. 
          Trying not to sound vain I am a proud Goan .I am not physically present there but everywhere I go, I carry a piece of it in my heart. And every time the real world makes me overwhelmed I turn 
towards this piece, instantly getting transported to the land of tall coconut trees swaying in joy, the never ending heavy monsoon making the whole place smell like red mud, chirping of sparrows sitting in the glass chandeliers, the temples surrounded on all the sides by lush greenery and hills, chanting of the mantras and the sudden whiff of the incense sticks ,various stalls around selling the local delicacies and goods and the divine smell of hot rice and fish curry. It satisfies the human hunger of aesthetics, beauty and nature.
    And now I would really love to thank you all lovely guys for patiently reading my chatter. I promise to be back with a shorter post next time.  

Comments

  1. Wow, you wrote this so well!

    I feel like I went on a short trip to Goa—the unexplored side.
    ( ◜‿◝ )♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well articulated!! Keep going!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cake, Candles and Gossips

Festivities and Home

Winter and Solitude Musings