An Artisans Timeless Affair.

 

Procrastinator. There are times when I feel that I should engrave this word in big block letters on a huge stone object and place it in my home on the display because no other word can describe me as aptly as this one does. What do we call a girl who wants to complete a lot of tasks and makes systematic lists about them but at the end of the day does nothing and then suddenly wakes up from the slumber and completes all the tasks at once at herculean speed – sounds like me? So, long story short, I am back! With another exciting leaf out my life story and to take you lovely people to a beautiful place of sunsets and temples. But first, statutory warning, pack enough water because throughout the trip I always wished I had more cold water with me and beware of the monkeys! I had almost forgotten to write this blog but I recently watched the teaser of PS-
. While watching the south Indian grandeur I remembered that the blog started on another grand place remains incomplete. So here Iam.

Having spent two years of what are supposed to be a person’s best years of life, crying and frustrated at home it came as a pleasant surprise and a much needed energy boost when a field trip was announced for art & architecture students. A 3 day trip to Aihole, Badami and Pattadakal does sound interesting and for me who missed a school trip to the same places this trip was like a treat. Well, I don’t know how many of you guys believe in this but I do believe that what’s written in one’s destiny is bound to happen one way or the other. The place, the time and the people related may change but the situation will always arrive as it is supposed to. In short I believe that each person’s destiny is already written and we just travel through the various roads. No matter which road we choose and how our journey is we reach the destination meant for us. So that’s enough philosophy for today, what I wanted to say was that the place I was meant to visit way back in my school times I finally got a call from those places 8 years later. 
So, all was planned and scheduled and off we went enjoying the college trip environment that is sure to make one feel high on life. Our first stop was Aihole, according to few Sanskrit scholars the name of this town finds its origin in the term Aryapura while it can be also related with Ahi Haya, the slayer of the snakes. This town stands tall with some subtle yet imposing Chalukyan architecture. Visiting the temples in that town was a beautiful experience but what has captured by mind and my heart since the moment I saw it is the Meguti temple situated on a hill. One look at it and I was struck with the realization of time, the beauty of the working of this universe and the existence of us all here. I know my sentences may sound very foolish but that’s the thoughts that crossed my mind while I stood on that hill top drinking the sight till my eyes and my memory was full to the brink and yet I wanted to capture the sight more. It was truly a surreal experience, something I can’t really express in words. In that moment I realized why the poets write endlessly on the beauty and the aura of the moon, because that’s something that can’t be captured in words. The cool breeze on the hilltop, setting sun, and the calm in that place with that masterpiece in front of us, in that moment I knew that places do call us towards them. I could only imagine the workers hundreds of years earlier working on building that structure and passing time in the evenings, talking common man’s talks and living a common life not knowing that what they were creating was uncommon and would stand tall against the invasion of time to retell the glory of Chalukyas.

To say that I was emotional can be an understatement. Next day our trip to Badami started on a great note with super early morning visits to the temples and finally our visit to the great Badami. Great is the word Iam using to describe the place because that is all I can think of when I saw the caves there. The artisans surely must have been terrifying at their art and it feels like god himself has really manifested himself in those sculptures. The picturesque setting is the perfect backdrop for those caves. The monkeys there are nuisance and they are some cheeky thieves, so it was quite a task to take care of the belongings while capturing the sight in my mobile’s camera and being alert all the time. Nevertheless, it is worth all the efforts.

Having disliked Mangalesha since I was a child only because he went against my favourite Pulkeshi , I must say that the man was definitely not alien to art and architecture. I have very biased views towards him but his contribution is real and can’t be sidelined.

Our next stop was at Pattadakal. The place has been called famously as the laboratory of Indian architecture. So all of you can imagine the amount of fangirling I will do while describing the place. Words like magnificent, grand, royal must have been made only to describe this place. Visiting all the temples in that temple complex was a memory I will treasure forever. Just outside one of the temples I promised myself that I will visit this place again someday, to reread the never ending tales that this place has to tell us, of royalty and art and of power and glory. Also, never in my life will I ever forget that one of those temple have panels with Panchatantra depiction on it (that was one traumatizing moment in my life). 


After the tour ended and we all were travelling in the bus, again the gentle breeze accompanying us, all I could think was of the past, the bygone days when the artisans worked on these places and made masterpieces out of stones. It truly felt like I was transported in that era. And now enough of my fangirling over the Chalukyan architecture because this blog sounds less like a travel post and more like a teenager writing about feelings for their first crush ever.



The sun may set on the Chalukyan dynasty but its shrines shine like the evening star on the horizon of Indian architecture. (Me, March 2022).

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cake, Candles and Gossips

Festivities and Home

Winter and Solitude Musings