Jai Baba Felunath!
Recently owing to a work I was fortunate to travel all the way to Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh. The visit was all about temples and falling in love with the new place but what stood apart for me was meeting a fellow Feluda fan. A mere reference to the character soon turned into a full-fledged discussion of the various books and movies and the actors. By now my ever so smart readers must have already guessed my today’s topic of chattering. Yes, I am going to talk (I know its type, but let me take some artistic liberty here), about this masterpiece by THE Satyajit Ray. No words can do justice to describe what a legend he is but this write up is all about how I found about this writer, read a novel and absolutely jumped into the madness filled worlds of professor Shonku and Feluda. So let me take you all on this journey of adventure and mysteries, the evergreen elements.
It was by mere
coincidence that I came across this legends books. Being a voracious reader (my
parents call me a book worm, but I prefer this sophisticated term), I was
always fond of going to the school and local library and searching for books. On
one such search trip I came across a book based on the chronicles of a certain
professor Shonku. Intrigued by the title I picked up the book and started
reading. I soon entered the world of this eccentric scientist who does a lot of
experiments, some not so safe and always messes up things with his clumsy
nature. His royal companion is his cat. I ate up all the books from this series.
Safe to say, I was addicted to Ray’s writing.
One fine day when I was
in 7th std I picked up a small book titled the secret of park street
cemetery (translated into Marathi) and then read that book in a perfect setup,
that days the lights were gone and Iam not exaggerating when I say that I literally
read that book under the light of a candle. I was that hooked to the story. And
that was the day I hopelessly fell in love with Feluda and his various adventures.
What followed was my madness to read each and every book that was available in
the Marathi version. It was only when I entered college did I come across both
the volumes of adventures of Feluda. There was no looking back.
I took a train with the
famous trio (Feluda, Topshe and Lalmohan Ganguly aka Jatayu) to Jaisalmer and
flew to Mumbai for Jatayu’s movie launch, I ate mutton curry with them in the
dak bunglow of Darjeeling and saw the marvels of Kailasa temples, Ellora through
their eyes. I laughed at Lalmohan’s antics and his Prakhar Rudra and marveled at
the temples of Kathmandu, felt joy at seeing the beaches of Puri and felt a
tinge of fear at the encounter with Maganlal Meghraj. The rainy days and
presence of royal Bengal tiger was experienced as was the fear of the rattle
snake in The Emperor’s ring.
The extent of my
passion towards this series can be understood by the fact that I, a girl who
even hates the word cigarate, lights up like a fool when I hear any mention of
charminar. The colt is like a door to the wonderful memories I created while I read
the series. Any mention of Feluda is incomplete without the mention of late Soumitra Chatterjee. He lived and shined as Felu baba. The depiction of Pradosh Mitra wouldn't have been perfect without him.
Satyajit ray is known
for his various works and classic movies, but this one series will always and
forever hold a special place in my life because I have grown up literally living
those characters and all the details.

Wonderful! It's actually quite fascinating to know how someone living far away from Bengal, and not being a native Bengali, would have read the entire Feluda Series, and Shonku! That's the power of literature, really!!
ReplyDeleteI am also looking forward to hearing about this random Feluda fan you met in Varanasi! That should be the story for another day :)