A gift through generations

 In their childhood, many girls loved to drape their mothers sarees and play homemaker or teacher. It's in our genes, I suppose. I remember asking my mother to give me one of her sarees at least once a week so that I could dance around in it. I would feel like a grown person and order her around. Years passed by, and the roles were reserved, but my love for sarees remained the same. Every time we visited our kuldevta's place, I would bring out my blue stitched saree and pack it carefully in the bag. Then, on the temple premises, I would dance around, being very happy with myself. Children are easy to please.

Later, it was during school function days when I draped my mother's wonderful sarees and went to the events. I used to walk around carefully and was extra alert as the "borrowed saree" had to be stain- and crease-free. I guess we are all weirdly possessive with our sarees, so I can't actually blame the mothers for this rule.
Soon I learnt how to drape a nine-yard saree, and I used to go to my college functions dressed in that attire. Sarees, ear studs, bangles, and nath were my usual favourites. And if possible, a veni to increase the overall beauty of the saree.
It was during a tribal crafts exhibition that I bought my first saree. The same yellow saree that can be seen in the reel. And since then, it has become my favourite one. I draped it for my bachelor's college days, my convocation, and during festivals at home. Right now, I am on a mission to collect sarees and make my own collection.
When we talk about comfort, I find a familiar feeling envelopes me when I drape a saree. It doesn't actually feel like a piece of clothing but like an extension of my being. No matter how light or heavy the saree is, I feel most comfortable in it. On days when I am low and need some inspiration, I drape a nice saree and do my usual work. My mood is instantly uplifted.
Apart from being a traditional icon, the saree stands as a witness to history. History of several generations. 
When a saree gets passed down from one generation to the next, it's not merely a piece of cloth; it contains the essence of the experiences and blessings of the previous generations. Take an old saree, and you will instantly think of your mother, your grandmother, or your elder female relatives who may have worn it once upon a time and adorned it with happiness. Such pieces of clothing are not merely stitched together with thread and cloth. The love, blessings, hopes, and wishes of the past generations are stitched together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cake, Candles and Gossips

Festivities and Home

Winter and Solitude Musings