A Trip to the Seaside (Malvan)
I love the sea. That’s
it. That’s all I have got to say. Usually, I start every blog with a
big introduction part and then write the main body. Can’t help it because
that’s how I talk in real. It takes me around an hour to tell an incident that
was of merely 15 minutes. See, I started blabbering again. So, I love the sea.
I love the beaches, sea shells, the wind that blows near the sea, waves,
coconut trees, salt and wind in my hair and that dampness on my face. I love it
all.
I think my Pisces sun
and Aquarius moon are to be blamed for this love of water bodies. No wonder I
love the beachside. Everything about the sea makes me happy. While taking long
walks on the beach in the evenings and getting tanned being in the sea in the
afternoons I contemplate life and everything that is beyond my understanding. I
love to just sit down on the beach and stare at the horizon. So, I guess I can
say that I am totally a beachy person.
People who have read my
earlier blogs know about my love for Goa and my Goan roots. I love visiting the
temples there and then going and staying near the beaches. I love coastal
places and had a good travelling experience in Ratnagiri as well. But a few
years ago I visited Malvan and instantly knew that this was going to be my preferred
beach destination. Malvan is a great coastal place and truly heaven for fish
lovers.
It was in February 2021
that I first visited Malvan. My family and I stayed near a beachside resort and
I remember jumping with joy about how near the sea seemed to be. For the next few
days, I would tell this anyone who listened that I could clearly see the beach
very near our room window. During that visit, we discovered a good fish food
place called the Athithi Bamboo Hotel and I still remember the taste of the crab
dish I ate there. The crabs truly tasted as a piece of heaven served on my
plate. We also visited the famous Sindhudurg. It’s an island fort built by
Shivaji Maharaja that lies on the shore of Malvan town. It was built as a means
to counter the rising influence of foreign merchants. It’s majestic with huge
walls and an entrance that is approachable from only one way.
The next day we
vitiated Tarkarli Beach and saw Tsunami Island. The auto-rickshaw driver who
took us to these places also took us to see some lesser-known places. And I
really wish those places remain that way, the lesser human interaction the
better it is. One majestic place that I saw and would like to witness the
beauty of again is Sarjekot. I stood near the cliff and looked around me, I could
see the clear blue water and rocks, a small natural cave in the opposite
direction and the strong waves racing towards the coast. I stood there and
tried to memorize the sight in front of me. I knew it was truly a
once-in-a-lifetime experience to witness that place, under a sunny sky
surrounded by the water and listening to the song of waves. Even though it was
close to afternoon the wind was strong as ever and everything around me was
quiet. Later the driver bhaiya took us to one more cliff and I blame my stupid
memory for not being able to remember its name but even that cliff was a
beauty. Though it was private property we were allowed to go near the end of it
and witness the sight below us, a clear sea and wonderful rocks, all existing
since time immemorial. Almost every night we stayed there we ate our dinner
sitting near the porch in front of the rooms, looking at the beach, the sea
song accompanying us. I left that place with a heavy part and a promise. I kept
that promise when I visited that place again recently.
It felt as if the place
had changed a bit since the pandemic but the sea, the waves, the wind and the
trees were as welcoming as ever. We stayed at the same place and the sea-facing
room and even then my childlike delight hadn’t faded even a bit. Even this time
I marvelled at the sight in front of me and spent many hours sitting on the
balcony enjoying the view. This time as soon as we reached we sped towards the
hotel to have a meal of fresh fish. The fish thali and fried ladyfish (murdushi/kane)
were absolutely delicious. Over the next 3 days, I ate prawns, crabs, mackerel
(surmai) and even the popular kombdi vade. I ate fish as if I was stranded on
an island with no food (the irony).
This time we visited
the famous Kunkeshwar temple. It is dedicated to lord shiva. It’s a huge temple
complex that overlooks the Arabian Sea. The temple itself is surrounded by a
beautiful beach and white sand. Being in the temple, praying near the deity
while other devotees are ringing the bell and at the same time you can hear the
sea waves crashing against the coast and the strong wind that carries with it
the fragrance of incense sticks is a divine experience. I stood near the
entrance mesmerized by its beauty and location. It has shades of South Indian architecture
to it.
While walking on the
lanes of Malvan I came across various people and places. They were passing by,
some dropping their children to schools, some hurrying towards their way to the
office, a few people going towards the temple to offer their prayers and
children playing around near the houses. I sat near a temple that is
constructed right in the middle of the road and watched all these scenes unfold
around me. There was something peaceful in sitting there and studying the
people around me. Even at the beach, I
went towards the waves and sat down in the water observing the scenery around
me. I love observing people and scenes around me, even the most ordinary of
them all because even these moments contain stories. Tales of life and
experience. As an introvert, it’s much easier to observe the people around me
for hours and hours than strike up a conversation with a new person. It gives
me ideas and new thoughts to write it down and note down these experiences.
Talking about
experiences, my visit to the rock garden was a wonderful experience. Near the
beach we stayed at, it’s a garden situated at the rocky shore. The garden
overlooks the beach and offers a blissful view of the sun and the sea. The sea
waves dance around the rocks, sometimes jumping over them while sometimes
avoiding them and then enveloping them into a big hug. The sea waves and the
rocks have a rhythm of their own. I had been there in the evening time and I
could see the fading away of the red glow of the sun beautifully painted over
the horizon while the clear blue colour was splashed at the bottom of the
canvas in magnificent waves. A couple was sitting on the bench facing the rocks
and sea and it was truly a picturesque setting.
I felt the same feeling
of pain when it was time for me to leave. I noticed a few boats on the sea
surface. I felt every wave sing a song. The song of the sea. Music. A thousand
doors of memories opened in front of me. I glanced towards the sea and stood
there with a wish to live in that moment forever. All of a sudden, the pleasing
breeze and the cool sea waves were trying to convey some message. All I had to
do was listen. I turned around to return and for a second glanced at my
footsteps, now half washed away by water.
And now I must end this blog because I may go on and on about my never-ending love for the sea. But before I take your leave for a short while (you people aren’t going to get rid of me), I would like to end this particular journey we took today with a poem I penned down a few years ago.
I will wait for you.
She promised.
Because that is what
lovers do.
I will wait for you by
the sea shore.
Ride those waves and
come near me.
Climb that setting sun
to reach me.
Today, tomorrow,
forever.
I will be waiting by
the sea,
Listening to those sea
shells telling me about your life. A rich one.
A lifetime aint enough to live a life and a moment is enough to love worth a hundred lifetimes.
Comments
Post a Comment