Princess of Time
Fate had decreed that
she should be the Queen of the world and the Princess of time.” – Iqbal Nama-i-Jahangiri
of Mutamad Khan.
I love reading the
tales of strong female characters from the past. There’s something very
fascinating about the opinionated queens and princesses with strong characters
that make my heart gleam with respect for them. Mehrunnisa is one such
character. Reading about Nur Jahan in history textbooks always left me wanting
for some more snippets of her life, more glimpses into her royal life. One fine
day I came across this book that invited me into its enchanted pages and took
me on a journey on which I experienced the royal life and splendor as well as
deceit and power games. Ignorant I didn’t have an idea that ‘The Feast of
Roses’ is the second book of a trilogy. It was a book I picked up in the
library. Only when I started reading it did I realize that I am missing out on
something. And at that very moment, I fell in love with the Taj Trilogy.
Another thing to be
noted here is that though I pride myself to be a very organized person I first
read the second part, then the third book ‘the shadow princess” and then
touched on the first book ‘ the twentieth wife’ of the Taj Trilogy. And this
blunder only motivated me to read the books again but in a chronological way.
So here I am, completely in love with the second book and utterly fascinated by
Nissa.
One great thing about
reading is that it takes us to unknown lands and past periods. While reading
this book I totally enjoyed the Mughal era art, their architecture and even the
cuisine. Mentions of royal delicacies made my mouth water while I marvelled at
the delicate art and carvings on the pillars and jharokhas. Talking of
jharokhas reminds me of the incident mentioned in the book of Jahangir letting
Mehrunnisa stand along with him on the royal jharokha. It was unheard and
unseen for a woman, and a woman belonging to a royal family to be seen in that
place, the place that reflected power. The fan girl inside me truly danced with
happiness. Silly me.
As I continued reading
the book, several layers and aspects of this powerful lady were laid on the
plate, each decorated with petals and perfumes. Pearls adorned these words as
they did on her slender neck. The quality that separated her from the other
queens and empresses of that era is that she didn’t shy away from asking what
she wanted. She spoke without fear and had no qualms about making her ideas
known. This quality is rarely seen in ladies of royal families who were
constantly taught to keep their heads down and be soft and polite. Mehrunnisa
was anything but soft. She was stubborn, calculating, shrewd and loyal. She
knew the privileges and special treatment that Jahangir had given her and she was
grateful for it. While reading we came across several incidents that highlight
this.
She was truly a rose.
Beautiful, mesmerizing, spreading its fragrance to the far corners of the world
but unapproachable, armed with thorns to hurt those who dare to come close.
This book has all the
elements I love reading about. Love, power, plots and games endanger the crown.
This book has it all. The clothing styles of that era, the jewellery, customs,
hunger for power, state affairs looked after and wielding of real power from
behind the veil, the rise of distinct architecture and the personality and
times of Mehrunnisa completely enchant us and take us on a journey we love to
be a part of.
So, keep reading!
🌻🌻✌️✌️
ReplyDelete💛💛
ReplyDelete